65 âメリカ ǣ定 ǔ告 âり方

アメリカの確定申告 シングルマザー波乱万丈アメリカでの起業への道のり☆彡
アメリカの確定申告 シングルマザー波乱万丈アメリカでの起業への道のり☆彡 from ameblo.jp

アメリカ 確定 申告 やり方


申告 やり方 (Shinkoku yarikata) means "how to file taxes" in Japanese. In this article, we will explore the process of filing taxes in the United States, specifically for individuals residing in Japan. Filing taxes can be a complex and daunting task, especially when dealing with international tax laws. However, with the right information and guidance, you can navigate the process smoothly and ensure compliance with both Japanese and U.S. tax regulations.

Understanding Your Filing Obligations

Before diving into the process of filing taxes in the U.S., it's crucial to understand your filing obligations as a Japanese resident. Generally, if you are a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. permanent resident, you are only required to file a U.S. tax return if you have U.S. sourced income. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule, so it's essential to consult with a tax professional or refer to the IRS guidelines to determine your specific filing requirements.

Gathering the Necessary Documents

Once you have determined your filing obligations, the next step is to gather all the necessary documents to complete your tax return accurately. Here are some of the essential documents you will need:

  • W-2 forms: These forms report your wages, tips, and other compensation from your U.S. employer.
  • 1099 forms: If you received income from freelance work or self-employment, you may receive 1099 forms instead of W-2 forms.
  • Form 1040: This is the main tax form used to report your income, deductions, and credits.
  • Form 2555: If you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you will need to file this form to exclude a portion of your income from U.S. taxation.
  • Form 1116: If you paid foreign taxes on your income, you may be eligible for a foreign tax credit, which can be claimed using this form.

Determining Your Filing Status

One of the first decisions you need to make when filing your U.S. tax return is your filing status. The IRS offers several options, including:

  • Single
  • Married Filing Jointly
  • Married Filing Separately
  • Head of Household
  • Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child

Choose the filing status that best reflects your marital and family situation. Each status has its own tax rates and eligibility requirements for certain deductions and credits.

Calculating Your Income

After determining your filing status, you need to calculate your income for tax purposes. This includes both your U.S. sourced and foreign earned income. To accurately calculate your income, consider the following:

  • Wages, salaries, and tips
  • Interest and dividends
  • Rental income
  • Business income
  • Capital gains
  • Retirement account distributions

Keep detailed records of your income sources and amounts to ensure accurate reporting on your tax return.

Claiming Deductions and Credits

One of the key benefits of filing taxes in the U.S. is the ability to claim deductions and credits, which can help reduce your tax liability. Some common deductions and credits include:

  • Mortgage interest deduction
  • Student loan interest deduction
  • Child tax credit
  • Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Foreign tax credit

Be sure to review the eligibility requirements and limitations for each deduction and credit before claiming them on your tax return.

Completing Your Tax Return

Once you have gathered all the necessary documents, determined your filing status, calculated your income, and identified any deductions and credits, you are ready to complete your tax return. If you are comfortable with tax software, you can use popular programs like TurboTax or H&R Block to guide you through the process. Alternatively, you may choose to work with a tax professional who specializes in international tax matters to ensure accuracy and compliance.

Filing and Paying Your Taxes

Once your tax return is complete, it's time to file and pay your taxes. The deadline for filing individual tax returns in the U.S. is typically April 15th, but it may vary depending on weekends and holidays. If you are unable to file by the deadline, you can request an extension by filing Form 4868, which gives you an additional six months to file your return. However, it's important to note that an extension does not grant you extra time to pay any taxes owed. Be sure to estimate your tax liability and make any necessary payments by the original due date to avoid penalties and interest.

Keeping Records for Future Reference

After filing your taxes, it's crucial to keep copies of your tax return and any supporting documents for future reference. The IRS generally recommends keeping tax records for at least three years from the date you filed your original return or two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. These records can be invaluable in case of an audit or if you need to amend your tax return in the future.

Seeking Professional Assistance

While this article provides a general overview of the process of filing taxes in the U.S. for individuals residing in Japan, it's essential to seek professional assistance if you have complex tax situations or are unsure about any aspect of the process. A qualified tax professional can provide personalized guidance and help ensure compliance with both Japanese and U.S. tax laws.


Filing taxes can be a complex task, especially when dealing with international tax obligations. However, by understanding your filing obligations, gathering the necessary documents, and following the correct procedures, you can navigate the process of filing taxes in the U.S. as a Japanese resident. Remember to consult with a tax professional to ensure accuracy and compliance, and keep records for future reference. By taking these steps, you can fulfill your tax obligations and avoid any unnecessary penalties or complications.